Tuesday 3 May 2016

Gluten Free Spaghetti

I have started up my 2 week challenges again and have decided to try going gluten free for 2 weeks.

Like I did when I went veggie and discovered the ups and downs of eating Quorn  products I will be blogging about any gluten free products, recipes or restaurants I come across.

Firstly gluten free spaghetti is almost three times as expensive as the normal wheat filled spaghetti.

I felt it did take a bit longer for the gluten free spaghetti took longer to cook than the regular, although I don't tend to time my cooking, I also though it stuck together more.

Taste wise and texture wise I feel it had more bite to it than regular spaghetti and couldn't tell you a real difference in the taste.

Nutritionally gluten free spaghetti  has less protein and fibre than regular white spaghetti, you would of thought this would mean fewer calories but you would be wrong! 

There is only a 15kcal difference per 100g but when you are also giving up almost 4g of protein and about 1.5 grams of fibre, and that's just comparing gluten free white spaghetti, whole grain spaghetti makes both look like trash!

Whole grain pasta has 10.5g more protein and almost 7g more fibre than our gluten free friend per 100g.
It does come with double the calories.

I have to say I am not at all bloated, which I tend to be after a big carby pasta binge but is the loss of protein and fibre worth the trade off?

Just to sign off I feel spaghetti hasn't been written enough in this post so here it is again,
Spaghetti!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Bone Idol Fitness. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig