Monday 16 May 2016

2 Week Challenge: Gluten Free

Now that it's a new month I though I would start up my two challenges again, after completing the 2 week Water Challenge and Going Veggie way back in January I thought I'd see how easy it is to go gluten  free!
If you want to read about how gluten can effect your body click here to read my post on it.

Day 1

I failed on my first day!

I thought I was doing really well by dodging my oatso simple porridge which may contain gluten, even though I wanted it, I have chosen the gluten free life so I had some sausage and egg instead.

Later in the day was out and about and  looking for a snack to have, I was in a rush, I panicked!

I grabbed some Mattesson's Fridge raiders without reading the label I inhaled the packet then read that they are not gluten free, I also had fish and chips for my dinner.
 It completely slipped the mind that the fish is battered using flour!

Having been feasting on Top Herd's excellent gluten free jerky range last week I was surprised that Mattessons are not gluten free.

Day ruined.
Tomorrow is a new day so hopefully that will be my only slip up!

Day 2

I am thinking starting this challenge on a bank holiday was a mistake, my cupboards were simply not prepared the effort it takes to find gluten free foods, particularly food on the go.

There just seems to be nothing on offer but bread and pasta
I had to settle for fruit, I could of gone for sushi but my opinion on  sushi is that it would be much nicer if it were cooked!

For my dinner I ventured into my local Asda and had a skeg at there gluten free range.

I picked up some gluten free spaghetti and a pack of Belgium chocolate wafers.

Day 3

Same sort of foods today, fruits, eggs meat and I treated myself to ilumi snack pot, basically a gluten free pot noodle.

For my dinner I went for a nice Tikka Masala, read the post I have written to find out why made me so angry!

Day 4

I gave Perk!er Gluten Free Porridge a whirl today, I ate it because I had paid for it, not because I enjoyed it.

I treated myself to another gluten free scandal in the shape of gluten free chocolate buttons and tried gluten free wraps for my evening meal.


Day 5

I had a chicken wrap for breakfast from the night before and snacked on some Nakd bars along with fruit.
I  tried out Daura, gluten free beer, well it is a Friday after all, I also made use of my Muscle Mousse and made some Muscle Mousse Ice Cream with it!

Day 6

Lots of fruit, yoghurt, chicken and beef, I didn't try anything that was made specifically gluten free.

Day 7

Treated myself to a Magnum seen as the weather was so hot, I was tempted to order a takeaway but soon gave up thanks to the lack of gluten free options so I had Jacket Potatoes instead.

Day 8

Treated myself to some Flourless Pancakes and took myself out to eat which was surprisingly easy as the restaurant had a list of all the menu items that contain gluten.

Day 9

Nothing mind blowing today, I did have salmon, chilli, whole grain rice and peas for my evening meal.

Day 10

Again nothing mind blowing. I used the last of the gluten free spaghetti in my evening meal.

Day 11

Chili con carne for my evening meal with rice and spinach.

Day 12

I went out to eat at the Bridge Water Arms which was surprising easy as they kind showed me there allergen list to help me ensure my meal was gluten free, this information is also on their website, I highly recommend popping in if you are ever in Leeds.

Day 13

Pretty dull day food wise, had chicken, broccoli and sweet potato with far too much garlic for dinner.

Day 14

The day of the Body Power Expo!
Lots of fruit, salad and meats then a pizza at midnight!

I really feel that cutting out gluten made a real difference to how I feel day to day, although the increased energy may be a partially due to the brighter days but I definitely don't feel heavy and sluggish after eating and no horrendous bloating!

I found the hardest part of going gluten free the lack of on the go foods, when you are caught hungry and out in the wild you are very limited in what you can eat, sandwiches, wraps and pasta seem to be the main things on offer, you can get snack food but they are not very satisfying and you can only eat so much fruit.

I will continue to reduce my gluten in my diet, I feel much better without it apart but could do without the supermarket tricksters taking advantage of people leading a gluten free life.


I am taking a week off from a diet challenge because I am attempting a week long cleanse, you'll have to come back at the end of the month to see which kind and how well I do.







SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Bone Idol Fitness. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig