Sunday 3 January 2016

Quorn Mince

I have challenged myself to go veggie for 2 weeks and to aid me in this endeavour I picked up some Quorn.

"I mean if I am not eating meat some fake meat will do shouldn't it?"

 I thought to myself naively, how wrong I was!
Don't get me wrong, I never expected Quorn to taste amazing but I did expect it to be a more than what it is!

First I cooked my Quorn mince in a sauce I make all the time for meat mince, beef, pork or turkey all taste great with it but this faux meat was having none of it!

I powered through and ate it all, I have paid £1.80 for this horrendous mince so I am going to finish it, the texture was reminiscent of an old sponge but with less bite and I couldn't begin to describe the taste, all I know is my go to cooking sauce was about as effective at improving it as farting into a gale!

Another day another dinner!

This time I decided to let the professionals handle my dinner and bought some Old el paso chilli con carne sauce and to be honest it did make the Quorn much more palatable, I wouldn't go as far as to say I enjoyed it but it got eaten. I think in future I am just going to go full veggie with no attempt at meat substitute as not to upset myself further in the future.

What is Quorn though? Where does it come from and is it any good for you?

Well it's a mould/ fungus, grown in a fermentation vat and it does have a far bit of protein ( 14.5g per 100g) in it but less than half the amount in my preferred minced turkey ( 22.30g per 100g)

Plus there are 5kcal more in Quorn than the same about of turkey, due to the higher fat content than lean turkey mince.Now Quorn does beat my beloved turkey mince in the types of protein that it has.

Quorn contains all the essential proteins your body needs, this may be due to the egg whites used to bind it, so if you don't want to risk trying Quorn crack an egg and get that down your gullet.

I am not a fan of Quorn. My apologises to all you dedicated veggies out there, you will have my eternal admiration for being about to stomach this mulch.

SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Bone Idol Fitness. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig