Monday 6 June 2016

Cricket and Lemon Cake

I was sent some cricket power by Mophagy to make some food with so I thought  would give a lemon cake a crickety twist!

I have to say I think I missed the point of the cricket powder.

 Instead of using the powder in shakes and or other recipes I have up my sleeve I used all the powder in this cake, it didn't dawn on me until after I had mixed it all into my cake!

  I had been sent a food supplement rather than cricket flour like I presumed and for that I apologise to Mophagy, I could of used the cricket powder in other recipes if I hadn't been so hasty.

I did try the cricket powder on it's own before I used it to bake with and I must say it did taste how I imagined cricket to taste like, other than that I can only say get some for yourself to try.

If you want to check out the recipe I adapted to bake this cake then please click the link here

Because I am going dairy free for the next two weeks this recipe is also dairy free!

Ingredients:

225g of Live Free Pure Sunflower spread.
225g of caster sugar.
4 eggs.
55ml of lemon juice.
225g of self raising flour.
30g of Mophagy Cricket power.
Dr Oetker Surprise inside cupcake centres, Zingy Lemon ( optional ).

Method:

Pre heat the oven to 180C then beat your Pure sunflower spread together with your sugar until it's pale and creamy.

Add one egg at a time, and slowly mix, I just tossed in all 4 eggs and got whisking like a bad man!

Add your lemon juice, the recipe did ask for actual lemons but I forgot to pick one up and the shops had already closed by the time I had started baking.
Sift in your flour and cricket powder until well mixed.

Grease up your chosen baking tin with your Live Free Pure Sunflower Spread then pour in your mix and smooth out your mixture with a spoon.

Cook your cake in the oven, mine took about half an hour but the original recipe did say 45mins.

To check to see if your cake is properly cooked then prick the centre with a fork or a knife, it it comes out clean then you have succeeded in baking your cricket and lemon cake!

Leave your cake to cool, after 5 minutes of so use your zingy lemon to inject pockets of lemon curd into your cake where ever you fancy, I personally like how it looks like the crickets have buried their way into the cake through the holes.

I really enjoyed my cricket and lemon cake although a lot of my friends declined to try it, must be the lemon.

The cricket powder does change the texture of cake, making it more like whole wheat I would say, but you should give it a try for yourself, I am hardly a foody.

The only thing I would say would improve this cake is a dollop of custard, but I am dairy free for the moment so unless I find some dairy free custard by the time I eat all of this cake I will never know the the joy!






SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Bone Idol Fitness. All rights reserved.
MINIMAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig